Friday, November 13, 2009

Reflections on the trip...

My experiences in Ghana were unique and eye-opening. As a student, I was able to form friendships and relationships with my peers, exchanging experiences growing up and going to school in two very different parts of the world, while gaining insights on the culture, the values, and moral beliefs of the community. As a researcher, I was able to interact with government officials, traditional healers, and social change makers of the country, further building on efforts to develop an emerging health care system. As a clinical intern at the hospital, I was able to talk to and see the diverse range of common and uncommon illnesses that was common among Ghanaians as well as assist scientifically trained physicians and nurses in distributing medication and health care services to the local community. The five months was all encompassing, allowing me to build a new community and social network in this place I eventually grew to call a home.

As pre-medical student and having already finished my degree in physiological science, I took medically related classes in the humanities to further expand my perspectives and perceptions of medicine and health care. By taking Medical Sociology, Medicine and Development, and History of Western Medicine, I feel like I have a more holistic understanding of scientific health care and its place in the world. While studying these medically relevant topics at the University of Ghana, I also chose to volunteer and immerse myself in the Ghanaian health care system to better understand it. My 4-month volunteering experience encompassed assisting nurses and doctors, shadowing, and interacting with patients in multiple capacities, which in turn enabled me to learn more about the cultural customs, traditional beliefs, and traditional health care system of Ghana. Through my experiences, it became evident that colonial societal influences and indigenous cultural beliefs had clashed and resulted in a disparity between scientific health providers and traditional health providers and their goal to promote and provide health care to the Ghanaian population. As I learned about the Ghanaian holistic worldview of health and wellness and discussed the perceptions of traditional medicine with scientifically-trained doctors and nurses at the hospital, I decided to conduct an independent research project and document these observations. With guidance from the Head of the Sociology Department and with approval from a division under the Government of Ghana’s Ministry of Health responsible for promoting an acceptable and affordable health care system, I wrote a paper to document the different perspectives of the parties involved, hoping it would facilitate and encourage further discussion on the topic. I also provided suggestions for future collaborative efforts between the two teams of health providers, hoping that it would initiate the creation of a health care system that would truly address the needs of the Ghanaian citizens.

Now that I am back from this medical adventure in Ghana, I am more encouraged than ever to pursue my goal of becoming a doctor. My social science classes in medical systems have brought my pre-medical education to the brim of the glass. My volunteering experiences prove that I am able to work with a diverse group of individuals on many levels- as a friend, as a teacher, and hopefully in the future, as a doctor. The intercultural competence and new perspectives I gained before and during my time in Ghana has opened my mind to the importance of holistic healthcare to address the needs of a given population. A research project I conducted also proves that good care giving requires medicine that is not only accessible and affordable, but also applicable to the communities it seeks to serve.

I can’t wait to further pursue this career!

No comments:

Post a Comment